COMPLETE COCONUT OIL TIPS
Research has now shown that coconut oil is a healthy saturated fat that supports immune system function. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is a proven antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal agent and it is easily digested and absorbed.
This is why it works well for conditions such as Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome and coeliac disease where digestion is a problem for many people.
The anti-fungal aspect of coconut oil helps to kill candida in the gut which is common problem for people with digestive issues.
The great benefit of coconut oil is that it helps the body eliminate toxins as well as improving digestion and assists with the absorption of beneficial nutrients from our food. When more nutrients are absorbed this aids the body at cellular level and supports the immune system.
Coconut oil is reported to enhance metabolism and for many people this helps them to achieve their ideal body weight in conjunction with regular exercise and a healthy diet. Because metabolism is enhanced, the thyroid gland which produces hormones that regulate metabolism, by using coconut oil, this can be helpful in treating Hypothyroidism an underactive thyroid.
There are a number of published studies about the effect of coconut oil on metabolism. Dr. Ray Peat, a biochemist and proponent of coconut oil for thyroid patients says;
“An important function of coconut oil is that it supports mitochondrial respiration, increasing energy production that has been blocked by the unsaturated fatty acids. Since the polyunsaturated fatty acids inhibit thyroid function at many levels, coconut oil can promote thyroid function simply by reducing those toxic effects. It allows normal mitochondrial oxidative metabolism, without producing the toxic lipid peroxidation that is promoted by unsaturated fats. Coconut oil added to the diet can increase the metabolic rate.”
The best coconut oil to buy is one that is cold or expeller-pressed and unrefined. It’s a safe oil to use it for cooking as it has a high burning point.
Enhancing the natural flavour of foods, its consistency and great taste make it a useful oil when sautéing, or frying or used with curries and Thai style dishes. You can also use it in dessert dishes and baking.
Virgin coconut oil becomes cloudy below 24c and solid below 18c to liquify, you will need to place the container in warm water.
Six easy ways to add the benefits of coconut oil to your daily diet…
1 – Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to your favourite breakfast smoothie
2 – Add a tablespoon to buckwheat or quinoa porridge with a drop of stevia
3 – Use as a spread on your favourite gluten free crackers or bread
4 – Use coconut oil for your stir fries & curries – works wonderfully with Asian & Indian flavours
5 – Roast vegetables with coconut oil & sea salt – Delicious!
6 – Mix coconut oil with raw cacao powder and stevia for a delicious, healthy chocolate topping or dipping sauce
Six great beauty tips for coconut oil.
1. Cleanse away the day’s build -up of dirt and pollution by massaging coconut oil into your skin and gently removing the oil that has lifted the dirt away with a damp flannel. Coconut is anti-bacterial and anti-microbial, so it is perfect for protecting and enhancing the skin’s natural flora.
2. If your locks are looking more like straw than silk, massage coconut oil into damp hair to help strengthen them and add luster. Put your locks up into a shower cap and wrap a warm wet towel around it. Leave for twenty minutes and shampoo as normal.
3. Pop your feet into a warm footbath laced with three tablespoons of coconut oil. Add some mixed spice and coconut milk to enrich this rejuvenating foot soak. The lauric acid in coconut oil may assist with fighting fungal infections, and bring balance to your hard working feet.
4. Rich in moisturizing fatty acids, coconut oil makes a superb moisturizer, plus you’ll smell delicious too. Massage it into your whole body and don’t forget your décolletage for a balmy evening out – to add a gorgeous glisten to your skin. To enhance the glow add some sparkling mica to your oil mix.
5. Babies love to be massaged with coconut oil. Highly moisturizing with both anti-bacterial and protective properties, take some precious time out with your little one and coat them in this nourishing oil.
6. Is your skin feeling a little parched and flaky? Add some sea salt to your coconut oil and use it as a scrub for the body. Your skin will feel rejuvenated, soft and glowing within minutes.