10 Quick Health Tips for the Office
1) Eat breakfast. Breakfast sets your metabolism for the day. People who eat breakfast end up eating
less during the day than those who don’t.
2) Take your breaks. Breaks = peace of mind. And peace of mind = energy and focus. Energy and focus
productivity. Need I say more?
3) Pack your lunch – and make it tasty – if you eat things that don’t taste good you won’t be satisfied
and you’ll end up searching for more…like for the cookie downstairs at your favourite coffee shop.
4) Eat lunch away from your desk. When you eat your lunch while responding to your emails, you may
as well be eating your emails. While eating, it is best to focus on eating. In the end, you will better digest
your food. You will also remember eating your meal and will feel more satisfied from it. Once again,
preventing the need for that cookie downstairs.
5) Be careful with drinking more than 2 cups of coffee per day. Trust me, you don’t notice how jittery
you have become until you cut down.
6) Don’t heat your lunch in a plastic container in the microwave. The plastics will get into your food and
increase your risk of developing cancer. Please. This is a simple one. If you really need to heat your food,
ask your company to buy a hotplate.
7) If possible, bike or walk to & from work. There are so many benefits to this tip. You will arrive at
work with a healthy glow, fit in your exercise for the day, get that much needed fresh air before you sit
at your desk, avoid road rage, and often save time (bikers and walkers don’t have to deal with traffic –
they just ride or walk on by).
8) Drink greens. At 3pm often drinking a greens drink, such as a chlorella or spirulina mixture, can give
you that boost you need to keep you going until the end of the day.
9) Nuts make great office snacks. They are full of protein and fat. These two nutrients help sustain your
energy over a long period of time. When you’re energy is sustained, you’ll be able to focus and be more
productive. A high‐carbohydrate snack, like crackers, granola/breakfast bars, or muffins will often give
you a short burst of energy…and then the inevitable crash…hence the need for that third cup of coffee.
10) Fit your exercise in before you get home for the day. Home is comfort. If you get home after a very
long day at the office, the comfort will lure you in. However, it is the exercise that will make you feel
better, not the couch. I’ll say this again – get your exercise in before you get home for the day.